This is an exciting time to join Portland General Electric. As Oregon’s largest electric utility, Portland General Electric is leading an energy transformation that will harness the power of clean and renewable resources. Our vision for a clean energy future relies on three interrelated and overarching strategies: de-carbonize through investing in clean and reliable energy; modernize through a smarter more resilient grid; and empower our customers in their energy technology choices.
We’re searching for innovative, customer and results-obsessed leaders to help power our mission and lead the way in championing the world’s clean energy future!
Staff IT Project Manager
Manages all aspects of IT projects/teams, typically involving multiple disciplines in the IT function. Utilizes expertise and leadership skills to direct staff and resolve issues to ensure project/team goals and requirements are met. May employ Agile techniques and project management practices.
Key Job Information
Intermediate Professional - Requires expanded professional-level knowledge and experience in own area; incumbents continue to acquire higher-level knowledge and skills. Expands on high-level knowledge of the company, processes and customers. Solves a range of more complex problems. Analyzes possible solutions using advanced knowledge and applying protocols. Operates independently and receives only a moderate level of guidance and direction.
- Project Management - Defines, documents, and carries out small projects or subprojects (typically less than six months with limited budget, limited interdependency with other projects and no significant strategic impact), alone or with a small team, actively participating in all phases. Identifies, assesses, and manages risks to the success of the project. Agrees on project approach with stakeholders and prepares realistic plans (including quality, risk and communications plans) and tracks activities against the project schedule, managing stakeholder involvement as appropriate. Monitors costs, timescales and resources used and takes action where these deviate from agreed tolerances. Ensures that own projects are formally closed and, where appropriate, subsequently reviewed and that lessons learned are recorded.
- Portfolio, Program and Project Support - Uses recommended portfolio, program and project control solutions for planning, scheduling, and tracking. Sets up project files and compiles and distributes reports. Provides administrative services to project boards, project assurance teams and quality review meetings. Provides guidance on project management software, procedures, processes, tools and techniques.
- Methods and Tools - Provides expertise and support on use of methods and tools.
- Data Analysis - Applies data analysis, data modelling and quality assurance techniques, based upon a detailed understanding of business processes, to establish, modify or maintain data structures and associated components (entity descriptions, relationship descriptions, attribute definitions). Advises database designers and other application development team members on the details of data structures and associated components.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in business, computer science, engineering management or other related field or equivalent experience.
- Typically, two or more years of experience in the development, implementation, and maintenance of IT systems.
- PMI Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM), Project Management Professional (PMP), Certified Scrum Master (CSM) nice to have.
- Experience in an Agile/Scrum software development environment highly desired.
- Cloud Related Project experience implementing and managing API, Data Lake, Data Science related projects is a plus.
- Working knowledge of cloud computing environments (GCP, AWS, Azure) and associated service capabilities.
Competencies (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities)
- Working knowledge of current technologies in use at PGE.
- Working knowledge of the software development and system implementation process, including requirements gathering.
- Working knowledge in system design techniques, testing, implementation, release and version control and training approaches.
- Working knowledge in establishing detailed work plans and staffing needs for each phase of the project. Arrange for the assignment or recruitment of appropriate project personnel.
- Working knowledge of standard project management tools and techniques.
- Working knowledge in developing and updating project plan, schedule, risk management plan, change management plan and communications plan.
- Intermediate accuracy skills.
- Intermediate risk management skills.
- Intermediate oral and written communication skills.
- Intermediate interpersonal skills.
- Intermediate decision-making skills.
Cognitive Level Intermediate: Consistent use of relevant principles to solve practical problems and to deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to adhere to set response times, deadlines and time-sensitive tasks.
- Ability to follow accuracy standards.
- Ability to follow through on decision-making tasks.
- Ability to interact effectively and collaboratively within a team environment.
- Ability to communicate and problem solve when under stress.
- Ability to respond and adapt to frequent change.
- Ability to accept and demonstrate self-awareness when provided constructive feedback.
- Ability to discern feedback and acknowledge ownership of areas of improvement.
- Ability to avoid future mistakes by applying reasonable skills to new but similar work situations or tasks. Ability to successfully collaborate with peers, managers and others within the organization. Demonstrates sound memory.
- Ability to process new information to be applied consistently to work tasks.
Join us today and power your potential!
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the posting close date. A cover letter may be needed with your application to be considered for this position. Only applications made directly through our website will be considered.
PGE believes in rewarding strong performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
At Portland General Electric, we’re innovators, builders, and achievers. We’re committed to powering our customers’ potential and making a difference for our community and the planet. Today, that commitment includes developing an intelligent and resilient electric grid, electrifying transportation and de-carbonizing the energy sector.
We’re proud to deliver an exceptional experience to help our customers thrive. Our mission is to make clean, reliable and affordable energy services available to all. We obsess over serving customers and are committed to growing employee career paths with purpose. Equity and inclusion are core business values; we celebrate our differences and are committed to developing teams that reflect the communities we serve.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
Talent Acquisition Contact: