Staff Data Platform Engineer
This job is being posted to the TAO job board because it is potentially open to remote candidates. Feel free to contact me if you’d like to learn about Optimizely before applying. I am a PDX-based remote Optimizely employee. Josh.Schoonmaker@Optimizely.com
Optimizely is focused on unlocking digital potential and we are the recognized category leader in Digital Experience Platform (DXP) and created the category for A/B Testing and experimentation software. We have incredible customers – isn’t that one of the most important aspects of looking for your next job? Optimizely has over 9,000 brands from global organizations such as Visa, Sky, Yamaha, Wall Street Journal to tech innovators like Atlassian, DocuSign, FitBit and Zillow.
Not only are we financially sound and growing but we have unicorn status: Exceeded $300M in revenue in 2020, is profitable already, and has all strategic options ahead of itself. Optimizely continues to invest and addresses a market opportunity north of $30 billion, providing significant personal career growth opportunities.
We are an inclusive culture with a global team of 1200+ people across the US, Europe, Australia, and Vietnam. We blend European and American business culture with emphasis on teamwork, inclusion, and moving fast. People make the difference!
If you are looking to work on the next generation of digital technologies in a fast-paced, hyper-growth environment, apply! We’re just getting started...
We are looking for a Staff Software Engineer to join our Data Platform team. We have built sophisticated infrastructure that processes billions of events per day, enriches them via stream processing, aggregates and stores them efficiently to support large scale performant queries. This team provides centralized data infrastructure and APIs for Optimizely experimentation, event and results data needs. This includes distributed databases, streaming platforms, storage solutions and big data infrastructure. Our users include both paying customers and other engineers within the company building data products. The Data Infrastructure team plays an important role in making it easy and efficient for our users to get accurate data in and out of our systems. If you have practical machine learning experience that allows you to develop sound solutions for problems such as contextual decision making, clustering, content targeting and optimization, ranking, prediction, and classification then so much the better.
What you’ll be doing:
- You will build and support products, platforms and tools that provide high leverage to customers and engineering teams
- You will drive continuous improvements to the reliability, accuracy, performance, security and cost our data infrastructure
- You will solve business-critical data and distributed systems engineering problems, utilizing the best languages and technologies for the job.
- You work with highly scalable systems that ingest, deduplicate, count, aggregate, store, and archive event data as well as serve real-time analytics insights
- Maintaining and improving a production machine learning platform powering recommender, statistics, and personalization products
- Strong Software engineering, SRE or DevOps background, preferably in the infrastructure space
- Knowledge of build/release systems and processes
- Deep passion for the infrastructure space and solving complex problems
- Familiarity with microservice architectures and experience building infrastructure platforms and tools
- Experience with Cloud Computing platforms like AWS and understanding of scaling and reliability concerns
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Knowledge of container services (Docker/Kubernetes)
- You will build systems and services using batch and stream processing, spanning technologies such as Hadoop, Samza, and Spark, in languages such as Java and Scala
- Experience with machine learning techniques and model training is a plus
- You have 5 to 8 years of experience doing this with 2 or more years leading and are looking for your next big challenge
Why you’ll succeed:
- You are curious about how distributed systems operate and fail at scale and how to fix them
- You understand the scalability and performance tradeoffs and appropriately build systems as we move from prototype to production
- You have an automation mindset. You seek to fully understand problems, and then produce workable and efficient solutions
- You reflect and seek feedback on choices and trade-offs in your design process
- You seek context to inform your decisions, and you adapt to changes according to the needs of the business
- You are curious about emerging technologies and are interested in evaluating and adapting where it makes sense
- You are a team player who enjoys collaborating across engineering teams
- You appreciate working with people from all walks of life, and you work to respectfully engage and collaborate with colleagues regardless of perspective or experience