This is an exciting time to join Portland General Electric. As Oregon’s largest electric utility, Portland General Electric is leading an energy transformation that will harness the power of clean and renewable resources. Our vision for a clean energy future relies on three interrelated and overarching strategies: de-carbonize through investing in clean and reliable energy; modernize through a smarter more resilient grid; and empower our customers in their energy technology choices.
We’re searching for innovative, customer and results-obsessed leaders to help power our mission and lead the way in championing the world’s clean energy future!
Staff Business Systems Analyst – Data Product Management
The Data Strategy & Management (DSM) bears critical responsibility on behalf of Portland General Electric (PGE) to create value for customers, regulators, and business operations through the collection, organization, and interpretation of data from PGE’s expansive data portfolio. The mission of our team is to enable data driven decisions across the company and external stakeholders by ensuring secure, reliable and cataloged data access from our data lake and delivering insights utilizing advanced AI/ML approaches to support achieving PGE’s goal to provide energy that is safe, clean, reliable, affordable and secure.
We are looking for a Staff Business Systems Analyst to join our team and drive our mission together. This individual will collaborate with the business partners to collect requirements, benefits metrics towards data solutions. They will work closely with the Business SME’s, Information Architect, Data Architect, Data Engineer, and to design and develop data solutions to cater business values and end-user experience. Through their work, they will lay foundation of best practices and framework that other business analysts can follow.
The ideal candidate has the drive to understand the business domain, collect requirements/metrics, validate that the completed data solutions meet the requirements, measure, and report outcomes. They must be comfortable at elicitation of requirements and benefits tracking amidst ambiguity and able to convey their idea clearly to stakeholders. They should be great communicators and presenters even to high-level executives. Last but not the least, they should share the same passion to make the world a great place to live by providing clean and reliable energy to people.
Career Level Summary
Performs first-tier professional-level assignments that require theoretical knowledge and application of principles and concepts. Typically requires a related college or university degree or the equivalent work experience. Solves recurring problems by applying advanced knowledge. Operates independently but also receives ongoing guidance and direction from others
- Requirements Gathering - Manage requirements elicitation, analysis, and documentation processes to capture business and end user needs towards data solutions.
- Prioritization - Prioritize needs within and across projects based on business impact and groom the backlog.
- Collaborate with data engineers and scientists -Engage with the data engineers, data scientists and data architects to communicate business vision and priorities.
- Benefits & outcomes tracking - Elicit metrics and KPIs to track towards benefits for the data products. Measure and report outcomes towards the metrics and KPIs tracked.
- Validate - Test the data solutions towards the requirements and completeness.
- Collaborate with Stakeholders - Works with peers and business stakeholders to identify the business requirements and expected outcomes. With peer and business stakeholder support, models, and frames meaningful and impactful business scenarios for critical business processes and/or decisions.
- Analyze Data - Assists in developing data and analytics products to improve how business is conducted and increases throughput through operational efficiencies. Being able to analyze data to provide inputs to business towards data driven decision making. Shares data quality findings with data stewards and partners with data stewards on data quality definition and standards.
- Educate - Follow the overall best practices and guidelines in documenting requirements, test scenarios, test cases and metrics tacking. Fill in gaps and suggests improvements as necessary.
- Experience with JIRA for requirements tracking and test scenarios.
- Experience with data visualization tools like Tableau for sharing business outcomes.
- Experience with agile and lean principles.
- Experience with SQL to query data.
- Basic understanding of data lake, data warehouses.
Education / Experience / Certifications
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in business, computer science, engineering, management or other related field or equivalent experience.
- Typically, two or more years in related field.
- Preferred experience in or knowledge of utilities business domains and/or IT environment.
Join us today and power your potential!
To be considered for this position, please visit www.portlandgeneral.com/careers to complete an employment application by the posting close date. A cover letter may be needed with your application to be considered for this position.
PGE believes in rewarding strong performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.