Software Manager, Data Platform Engineering
This job is being posted to the TAO job board because it is potentially open to remote candidates. Feel free to contact me if you’d like to learn about Optimizely before applying. I am a PDX-based remote Optimizely employee. Josh.Schoonmaker@Optimizely.com
Optimizely is focused on unlocking digital potential and we are the recognized category leader in Digital Experience Platform (DXP) and created the category for A/B Testing and experimentation software. We have incredible customers – isn’t that one of the most important aspects of looking for your next job? Optimizely has over 9,000 brands from global organizations such as Visa, Sky, Yamaha, Wall Street Journal to tech innovators like Atlassian, DocuSign, FitBit and Zillow.
Not only are we financially sound and growing but we have unicorn status: Exceeded $300M in revenue in 2020, is profitable already, and has all strategic options ahead of itself. Optimizely continues to invest and addresses a market opportunity north of $30 billion, providing significant personal career growth opportunities.
We are an inclusive culture with a global team of 1200+ people across the US, Europe, Australia, and Vietnam. We blend European and American business culture with emphasis on teamwork, inclusion, and moving fast. People make the difference!
If you are looking to work on the next generation of digital technologies in a fast-paced, hyper-growth environment, apply! We’re just getting started...
We are looking for a Software Engineering Manager to lead our Data Platform team. This team provides centralized data infrastructure and APIs for Optimizely experimentation, event and results data needs. This includes distributed databases, streaming platforms, storage solutions and big data infrastructure. Our users include both paying customers and other engineers within the company building data products. The Data Platform team plays an important role in making it easy and efficient for our users to get accurate data in and out of our systems.
Ideally, you bring proven engineering leadership experience as well as practical infrastructure knowledge. You demonstrate strong org development skills, ability to form great partnerships across engineering, ability to support and grow individual engineers, and sufficient technical experience to partner well with individuals and also to inspect their projects. You are excited by the opportunity to provide leadership across the organization to help influence and drive initiatives.
What you will do:
- Build and lead your engineering team and help the members of your team grow both technically and professionally
- Own both the operational and directional aspects for your team
- Lead, inspire, and influence your team to embrace modern engineering practices that enable them to frequently release high-quality and performant services
- Work with the recruiting team to attract and retain high quality and diverse talent
- Collaborate with other managers to ensure we are building products that provide a consistent and powerful experience across our platforms
- Have visibility, influence, and impact across all of Optimizely’s engineering teams and product areas
You will be successful in this role if:
- You have successfully built and managed a team of 5 or more engineers over the last 3 or more years
- You have a proven track record in developing and delivering high scale, secure, and performant distributed systems
- You have demonstrated experience managing, delivering, and owning the services end-to-end
- You are able to thrive and lead multiple highly cross-functional projects at any time
- You maintain an awareness of the state of technology, tools, and techniques
- You are excited to take initiative and help make an impact on the larger organization
- You have solid organizational skills, the ability to prioritize tasks and keep multiple projects on schedule
- You have solid track record engaging and collaborating across distributed teams