Senior Network Administrator
Application instructions for this and all current OPB employment opportunities are available at OPB's careers page.
OPB is a leader in public media, serving diverse communities of the Northwest with fact-based, in-depth news and information about politics, the environment, science, arts, history, and cultures; business, education and more. Powered by the generous support of members, OPB seeks out a variety of voices in our communities and lifts up authentic stories of the people, places, events and issues of the region, providing context and a deeper understanding. OPB’s independent journalism and programs are available at opb.org, on OPB Radio and OPB TV. Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Facebook.
Are you a systems thinker who can easily evaluate a technological situation and develop solutions that considers all the ripple effects? Are you an architect that doesn’t mind wearing multiple hats by being the visionary and doing the hands-on implementation? The IT team is looking for a Senior Network Administrator to join a team of five who are a part of a large Technology department that is responsible for creating and maintaining the enabling infrastructure which manages OPB content through its entire life cycle.
The Technology department is evolving to enable a broad-based collaborative environment, some of our current projects underway include replacing network core switches and modernizing the OPB network. This is an exciting time to join the team and make a lasting impact!
This network Sr. Network Administrator is responsible for implementing, upgrading and managing the daily operations of our software, hardware and networks while ensuring security and availability of services. Responsibilities include:
• Install and configure network hardware and software
• Manage network servers and technology tools
• Manage phone system
• Monitor performance and maintain network according to requirements
• Troubleshoot issues and outages
• Ensure security through access controls, backups, firewalls and certs
• Develop expertise to train staff on new technologies
• Engage with vendors to plan version upgrades and patching as needed
• Upgrade systems with new releases and models
• Provide support for End User Computing and respond to service desk tickets
Typical office environment. Must be able to move and install network and computing hardware and respond to after-hours support communications and remote site visits. Demands upon the position may require working non-traditional hours including evenings, weekends and holidays to trouble-shoot or solve critical problems. Will be required to be to be available to respond to technical and operational emergencies.
During COVID-19, most work is performed remotely using equipment provided by OPB. There is some need for onsite work but should be the rare exception at less than 5%. Onsite presence is typically only needed to resolve an issue with physical hardware or for scheduled vendor site visits.
• 5 years of work experience managing Cisco networking, including switches, routers, firewalls, remote access and network monitoring tools
• Familiarity with backup and recovery software and methodologies
• Ability to set up,, configure, and troubleshoot services and hardware
• Experience developing, documenting and implementing policies, standards and operating procedures
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Ability to identify, prioritize and execute multiple tasks to meet critical project deadlines
• Experience providing superior customer service to internal and external stakeholders
• Enthusiasm for the mission of OPB
• Cisco Networking Vendor Certifications
• Familiarity with ITIL/IT Service Management best practices
• Network Security Controls
• CompTIA A+ Certification
• PCI Experience
• Mitel Phone Systems/ ShoreTel Administration
• Windows Server System Administration
• Experience with business continuity or disaster recovery strategies
• Experience writing in shell or scripting languages
• Experience administering telecoms network and phone systems, including newer “born-in-the-cloud” solutions
• 2-year degree in Computer Science or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this position.
• This position reports to the Director of Information Technology and is benefits eligible.
• The probable hiring range for this exempt position is between $85,000 and $95,000 annually, depending on qualifications.
• For the safety of our employees, the contractors/vendors we work with, and the public we serve, OPB has a mandatory COVID vaccination policy and all employees are required to show proof of vaccination.
• This position has access to highly sensitive data and therefore must pass a background check.
How to Apply
For application instructions, please visit https://www.opb.org/careers. You will be asked to create an account, upload your cover letter and resume and answer a few position related questions. Once you click “submit” you cannot make changes to your application.
Your application materials are due by 8:59 PM Pacific Time on September 23, 2022.
OPB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.