About our company and Eugene, Oregon
Palo Alto Software is a company that puts people first. We’re a friendly team of more than 70 diverse, world-class experts who appreciate and are aligned with our company values and add our own distinct strengths to that culture. Please review all the information on our culture at this link before applying.
We believe that when we help one small business owner grow their business, we’re helping an entire community. Please visit liveplan.com and teamoutpost.com to learn how our products help achieve our mission to help people succeed in business.
Our employees are independent thinkers and creative problem-solvers who enjoy work-life integration and lead full, interesting lives. Our location in Eugene supports access to engaging and challenging work in a growing tech scene in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Eugene’s commute times and our drinking water (from the McKenzie River Watershed) are some of the best in the nation, and homes are more affordable than you’d find in Portland, Seattle, or the Bay Area.
In the past, our team worked primarily in our office with some remote flexibility. We are currently working fully remote for safety reasons, and expect a similar level of remote work flexibility to continue long-term. When it's safe to do so, we may require in-person attendance during some events, meetings, or projects. We will share our remote work guidelines with successful candidates before hiring.
Benefits we provide:
- Competitive salary
- Health / vision / dental / ortho
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Reimbursement Account
- Generous paid vacation and holidays
- Paid community volunteer time
- 401(k) with a match
- Relocation reimbursement
- Flexible work schedule
- Discounted gym membership
- Fun company events
- A diverse and inclusive environment
- Values-based company culture
- And much more
About this role
We are looking for a highly skilled user experience designer to join our product team and help us craft elegant, highly usable web application solutions to thrill our customers and enable them to achieve their business objectives. As the company’s only dedicated Product Designer for now, you will have the ability to influence the company’s product philosophy and vision as well as craft user-facing features.
It's a full-time, exempt position reporting to the VP of Product. Notable responsibilities include:
- Designing workflow and interface concepts to tackle customer problems
- Doing detailed interaction design work, ranging from whiteboarding sessions to low-fidelity mockups to interactive prototypes and more, to turn concepts into buildable designs
- Proposing solutions to UX problems and suggesting improvements to proposed solutions from others
- Collaborating with researchers to define and answer key questions through interviews, usability tests, data mining, split testing, and more
- Collaborating with product analysts to understand, interrogate, and address customer needs
- Communicate goals and progress to senior executives and the rest of the company
- Partnering with developers on implementation challenges, prototype code sharing, and more
- Partnering with our QA team to help maintain UX quality through to the final production build
- Partnering with Marketing to make sure Marketing and Product design are aligned
- Participating in epic kickoff and story estimation sessions to plan and size new work
- Participating in team retrospectives to help improve our process, productivity, and team happiness
- Leading design critique discussions on a weekly basis with project managers, stakeholders, and engineers
- You’ll be given clear OKRs each quarter, but have the autonomy to interpret the solutions to meeting those goals
- Curiosity and intelligence above all else
- Validated experience in interaction design and user experience design on web applications or other software products in an agile environment
- A compelling portfolio of past successes in product design
- Clear talent in hands-on visual design and/or a strong history of collaboration with visual designers
- Expertise in cheap, fast prototyping and wireframing
- Proven knowledge of emerging trends in interface and interaction design
- Commitment to usability testing, user research, and seeking customer feedback
- Premier creative analytical skills
- Working knowledge of common design patterns and interaction techniques
- Shown ability to adopt and learn new technologies, techniques, and processes
- 4-year college degree in digital arts, computer science, or liberal arts or equivalent experience
About our product team:
We use an agile process focused on customer discovery, exploratory prototyping, fast iterations, data-informed decisions, regular retrospectives, and a commitment to continuous process improvement. As a product team, we develop our web applications using React, ES6, Java, Dropwizard, Redis, Postgres, and other contemporary technologies. Our product and design functions have historically worked upstream from development, but we are currently adopting product discovery to incorporate more early customer feedback and collaborate across functions to solve customer problems better and faster.
Do you have what we're looking for? Apply today!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.