Are you passionate about solving data puzzles? Do you have a curiosity for new data architecture & implementation models? Do you crave new challenges, learning opportunities, & using updated technology?
Baleen Data, as a branded division of Geffen Mesher, one of Portland’s most established and exceptional public accounting & business consulting firms, is seeking a Data Architect & Team Lead to join our Data & Analytics consulting practice. Geffen Mesher has been serving clients in the Pacific Northwest for over 80 years with a long history of supporting the lives, plans, and goals of people – those we serve as well as those who call the firm home. We are a local firm with global reach, with affiliations that have offices in over 95 countries. We also have a flexible work culture allowing for remote, in-office, or hybrid work styles with our beautiful office conveniently located in downtown Portland, OR. At Baleen Data, we believe in treating our teammates well.
As the Team Lead and Data Architect at Baleen Data, you will work with our Practice Director to lead a team of Data Engineers, Data Analysts/Report Writers, and client resources to analyze, design, and implement analytics solutions of all sizes. Each highly customized solution you create could utilize on-premises and/or cloud-based environments to meet strategic, performance, scalability, and security requirements as identified by the customer. Ideal candidates will have a passion for all things data as well as hands-on experience in architecture design, databases, data warehouses, data lakes, data mesh concepts, & reporting/visualizations. Prior consulting experience & effective communication/soft skills preferred.
Ideal Candidates will bring:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Business, Finance, Business Analytics, Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training
- 8+ years of experience with an emphasis on data, data engineering, reporting, & analytics
- Hands-On expertise in Structured/Relational Data, Unstructured Data, Cloud Analytics, and Big Data/MPP Database Technologies
- Functional understanding of Machine Learning including data exploration and preparation, training data, model, and algorithm selection, & tool offerings (Azure, AWS, GCP, etc.)
- Strong hand’s-on expertise on at least one Cloud stack focusing on Databases & Analytics (Azure, AWS, GCP, Snowflake, etc.), certification preferred
- Experience creating Data Pipelines to refresh data in batch/schedule & real-time scenarios
- Functional understanding of Data Security protocols including database encryption and handling sensitive data (PII, HIIPA, & GDPR regulations)
- Enterprise level experience using Python, R, or other scripting languages to manage & transform data
- Strong functional understanding of Power BI, Tableau, Looker, DOMO, and/or other reporting & visualization platforms, especially integration in Enterprise Architecture designs
- Demonstrated creative thinking architecting solutions based on data volumes, client needs, & platform/tool capabilities
- Ability to coach, mentor, and lead a team of data analysts/report writers to provide career progression, mentorship, and technical leadership
- Familiar with Project Management methodologies, including Kanban, Agile, & Scrum
- Ability to lead a mixed team (comprised of colleagues & client resources) responsible for development and execution of analytics projects
- Ability to translate complex business requirements & problem statements into technical requirements and actionable work items for the backlog
- Demonstrated passion for documenting data architecture solutions, business requirements, training/hand-off materials, and business processes for mixed audience usage
- Able to communicate professionally, influentially, and concisely with colleagues and business team members
Benefits and Perks
Our close-knit, team-centric culture is a great place to grow your career. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including health insurance, life insurance, long-term disability, four weeks of paid time off per year, and very generous 401(K)/Profit Sharing contributions. We also offer paid parental leave for both parents, paid volunteer time, summer hour scheduling, a flexible work environment and Dress for Your Day dress code. We host frequent social events and have a long history of active community involvement and volunteerism.