The Northwest Access Exchange (NWAX) is an established, non-profit organization with federal 501(c)(6) status that operates an open Internet exchange (IX) across multiple locations in Portland and Hillsboro, Oregon. NWAX is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors elected by the membership and currently has over 100 connected network members. For additional information, please visit https://www.nwax.net.
NWAX is seeking a part-time Executive Director to oversee the business, administrative, and technical operations of the organization and to advance NWAX strategically. Qualified applicants should submit a letter of interest, current resume, and the names and contact information of at least three professional references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, those submitted by September 30, 2021, will receive priority consideration.
Candidates who promote and enhance diversity are strongly desired.
- Work with the Board to develop and maintain a strategic plan for NWAX membership growth, technical expansion and resilience, and organizational development
- Hold the responsibility for overseeing technical operations, customer relations, billing, web presence, and other operational aspects on day-to-day basis
- Serve as the contract administrator for vendors and members
- Coordinate volunteer member efforts for network expansion and resiliency
- Develop internal process documentation and member onboarding materials
- Develop a marketing plan and maintain NWAX presence on web and social media
- Lead efforts for membership growth and retention
- Serve as the NWAX primary external representative in regional and national forums, such as the annual Oregon Connections Conference, NANOG, and ARIN
- Maintain collaborative relationships with other exchange points in region (SIX in Seattle and WIX in Eugene, for example) and with all relevant technology and broadband groups (Oregon Broadband Office, Oregon Broadband Advisory Council - OBAC, Oregon Public Utility Commission, and Technology Alliance of Oregon - TAO)
- Work with the Board Treasurer and the contracted accounting firm to insure that the organization remains on a sound financial basis through annual budgeting, timely reporting, review/action of accounts payable/receivable, and external audits (as needed)
- Work diligently to maintain the stability and viability of NWAX service platform and the the organization’s non-profit, tax-exempt status
- Minimum five years of experience within the telecommunications and/or Internet sectors, preferably with prior experience with Internet peering and/or exchange points
- Prior experience with non-profit governance and/or leadership preferred
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate broadly across business, technical, and public sectors and to coordinate volunteer efforts to achieve desired results
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated understanding of non-profit business processes and marketing in addition to Web and social media skills
- Ability to use current office software for document preparation and publishing, financial analysis, presentations, project management, online collaboration, and remote meetings
- Position reports to the NWAX Board with the Board President serving as the direct supervisor
- Contracted engagement via a professional services agreement (at least 20 hours per week, renewable annually, and IRS 1099 reporting).
- Successful candidate should reside in the greater Portland, Oregon metropolitan area or nearby
- Remote work position with the successful candidate responsible for home office environment and Internet/cellular connectivity
- Some regional and national travel will be expected (as public health conditions permit)
- Finalization of the professional services agreement will be contingent upon a successful background check