The Data Scientist uses data to find patterns, trends, and causal relationships as aids for projecting probable future conditions and events. These findings must then be effectively communicated to decision-makers to aid in critical decisions about organizational strategy and tactics. This work requires a deep understanding of principles in Statistics/Mathematics, Finance/Economics, and Computer Science paired with the ability to listen intently and present skillfully. The goal - give end-users the power to confidently make data-driven decisions.
George Fox University, a Christ-centered community, prepares students spiritually, academically, and professionally to think with clarity, act with integrity, and serve with passion. Professors teach all truth as God's truth, integrating all fields of learning around the person and work of Jesus Christ, bringing the divine revelations through sense, reason, and intuition to the confirming test of Scripture. As a Christ-centered community, George Fox University is an institution that values diversity as an essential dimension of God's design for human communities. In seeking to become a more inclusive community, we especially encourage applications from individuals who can help us achieve our diversity goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Understand University strategy and objectives and identify opportunities to deliver decision-aids and data products [visualizations, models and their outputs, alerts, etc.]
- Extract, cleanse, and verify data utilized in the creation of features for modeling and reporting by multiple constituencies, and monitoring these products after release for drift
- Extend University data with third-party sourced data where necessary using APIs or other methods
- Apply advanced methods of modeling and data-mining to systematically identify patterns, trends, and causal relationships from data
- Develop simulations based on relevant data and findings to support "What If" Analysis
- Assist with the analysis of Accounting and Financial data sourced from a General Ledger and financial statements and disclosures, both internal and external
- Address more difficult, sophisticated, or novel requests for analysis, such as causative models, graph analysis, and complex event processing and communicate results effectively
- Utilize skills to effectively cross or aid in the closure of data-chasms where they exist
- Support the development of data capabilities through-out the institution, such as assisting in the selection of potential tools, creating best practices for their use or machine learning generally, help in benchmarking external analytics service providers, and providing validation services to internal conclusions drawn from data.
- Bachelor's Degree in field related to quantitative analysis such as Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Analytics and at least 2-years of Analytics experience and a track-record of results
- Demonstrated technical skills including SQL, Python and data science libraries evidenced by experience working with complex data sets and managing data workflows
- Able to effectively communicate with all departments and levels of associates through both verbal and written methods
- Ability to work independently on complex projects
- Possess critical thinking skills, using logic to identify strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions and troubleshoot issues, suggest improvements, implement changes, and deliver value
- Past experience with Tableau, Financial Analysis, Masters coursework, or in Higher Education is a plus
For Your Personal Well-Being We Offer:
- A beautiful and peaceful campus environment with areas to walk and coffee shops and restaurants close by
- A strong Christian vision and mission-led organization with opportunities for your growth and contributions
- Wonderful Christian peers and a vibrant student population
- Free Fitness Center membership
- Free parking
- Rich employee benefits
We invite you to Be Known at Oregon's Nationally Recognized Christian University!
George Fox has been transforming student lives for over 125 years. Each day we look to broaden our future for generations to come.
We have alumni from 52 countries and all 50 states.
We invite you to become a steward of our dreams using your God-given gifts. Our Purpose: To educate and inspire students to pursue God's calling.
**This position is subject to close at any time, regardless of the date on the posting